S was Diagnosed in 2003, when he was 3, with High functioning autism. Now he comes across as any other boy, makes jokes, plays games and watches spongebob. Its not apparent he has a difficulty so people either think he is naughtly, has odd ways, or do not take us seriously.
He is like any other boy...and he has autism.
E was born in 2005, and does not have autism. He acts in ways that I had no idea about, laughs at my jokes, acts like a clown, plays with toys and watches spongebob too.
He is like any other boy...just like his brother
This is my musings, experiances, and anything else as the mum of one son with autism, and one son without it. I hope it makes a difference.


Going to the shop....and why.

Ive been trying to persuade S to go to the shop, which is only 2 minutes away, for ages now. He wont go. He said he is too scared to go on his own....which is fair enough.

Friday afternoon he went with his friends to the shop to get something, a cap gun. Then Saturday morning he got up and shouted "is the shop open?" I said yes, and the next thing i know he is dressed and running around saying hes going down the shop to get some caps for this toy gun. After a manic few minutes of me trying to talk to him, have you got your phone, have you got money, what are you going to do after etc, He went of to the shop...on his own...end off!

So because *he* wanted something desperately that was within reach he didn't give anything else a thought...."I need caps from the shop" was his motivation and nothing could distract him from that! If I had said...get me some milk while you are there...he would have said "no, I'm not going then!"
It always has been on his terms....everything from playing to learning. The school call this manipulation!! yes...they have no idea, don't even get me started!!

I always say he sees life with blinkers on....he is purely motivated by what he wants..because that is how his brain is wired! He cannot see other peoples perspective or their needs. he is driven by his own needs. If those needs cannot be met, that's it...meltdown time. if something happened or needs to be done that doesn't fall within the remit of his wants and needs....its not going to happen, unless i can turn it around to fit him. I'm always 5 steps ahead, or at least try to be. He has always been like this, since birth, never interested in anyone or anything unless it can help him, because he cannot see any other way of looking at things. I have no idea if this makes any sense...please let me know! All I do know is that.....

This isn't manipulation....this is autism....

5 comments:

Rosiecosy said...

Love the blog!

tracy_tp said...

tThanks for reading. Im quite humbled by the reponses Ive been getting and I only restarted it yesterday!

lates said...

Your blog can only be good thing. If people read about it first hand it can only help to remove any barriers, help to understand etc..good on u for doing it!

Anonymous said...

personal experiences can only help to remove any stigma associated with autism and give accurate info!
I love the blog about going to the shop!manipulation is what people use to make others bow down to them. if you're brains wired like that it's just life! if only the manipulators would take a look at themselves and realise they're selfishness then perhaps those with autism would gain more understanding from non-autistic people!! I'm glad you're son achieved such a milestone!

Michael said...

Keep going with the blog hun. More people need to know about Autism x


My photo
Im a full time single mum of 2 boys. My eldest son is 9 and has autism, my 4 year old does'nt! im studying creative writing with the ou, and i'm a sci fi geek...sorry!

latest comments...

Awards

Awards
x2

Thanks Clareybabble!
Add to Technorati Favorites
Autism Blogger - The Online Autism Community

Template Brought by :

blogger templates